Saturday, February 11, 2012

Walking All Over Cancer

It's been 4 years, 5 months and 3 days since my mom died of pancreatic cancer. Today, we were able to give her a voice, again, by walking in her memory in the first annual PurpleStride Phoenix.
Last night, Summer called me as I was making lanyards with my mom's beautiful face and I broke down. It caught me off-guard. I haven't been struck with that overwhelming sadness and longing in a long time. I will always miss my mom. Somedays more than others. But preparation for this walk, as tough as it has been, has also reminded me of the blessings that stand at my toes every day...the little people that my mom loved most in this world...her "babies". I think of my mom every time I look into Sofia's green eyes or that Cade corrects my English. So, because she'd want me to, today I will let them bring me comfort. (I'll even try to look past the mess that Lila and Fia are making behind me, right now...)
 

2 comments:

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

Im so sorry you have had to go through this. Its not fair! We are suppose to see our parents die when they are 100 and cant even poop in the toilet anymore!! You are strong though, and its ok to have the hard days!!
Love ya.

Alexis Kaye said...

I am so sorry! That would be so painful. She has so many reasons to be proud of you and I'm sure that she is