Sunday, January 24, 2010

Monarch Butterfly Cupcakes


For my kids birthdays', I open up my array of decorating books and let them choose what they want their cake or cupcakes to look like. But, since Lila can't talk, yet, I made the executive decision to make these butterfly cupcakes that I've been wanting to try for a while. I even had enough leftover batter to make an 8in. round to top my cupcake stand. The wings are made by tracing 2 wing templates with candy melts and sprinkling with white nonpareils. After practicing with the consistency of the melted chocolate until I got it right, the rest was 'cake'.
TIP- Dipping the edges of cupcakes in sprinkles is so easy and really gives a clean edge. It will also cover any overspill that may have happened in baking. I love the chocolate sprinkles on chocolate cupcakes and color matching sugar sprinkles to colored frosting. 

5 comments:

Miriam/Randy said...

these were so pretty and tasted great too!

Natalie Hall said...

Wow!!! I bet these are great for my diet plan.... Yummy!

Tasha said...

Those look amazing. bet they tasted really good. I need to get out my cupcake book and attempt something like this.

Natalie said...

I LOVE these. You are pure talent.

Will you take a sec and write down a few of your favorite decorating books? I'm ready to begin and (attempt) to be a little bit like you. I've even been working on my cake pops. Working up to those sesame street ones for June. Cupcakes are next!

I would love any hints! Here or write me a note on FB. :)

Brianne Skidmore said...

Thanks, guys.
Natalie- My 2, go-to decorating books, right now, are 'Hello, Cupcake' (for easy, easy cute stuff) and 'Pretty Party Cakes'. But, I only use them for decorating, I can't reccomend their recipes because I don't use them.
Have fun!!