Sunday, April 20, 2008

Parmesan Smashed Potatoes



OK. This is in honor of Courtney's new "Sunday Share". A friend turned me on to this recipe a couple of months ago when she asked me to make it for a ward luncheon. I was hooked. Super easy and way yummy. The only variation that I make is that I don't put it in a mixer but rather smash it by hand. (Caution...this recipe is not for the calorie-conscious!)



3 lbs red potatoes
1 T kosher salt
1 1/2 C half-and-half
1/4 lb unsalted butter
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Place the potatoes and 1 T of salt in a 4-quart saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer covered for 25-35 minutes, until the potatoes are completely tender. Drain.

In a small saucepan, heat the half-and-half and butter.

Put the potatoes into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix them for a few seconds on low speed, to break them up. Slowly add the hot cream and butter to the potatoes, mixing on the lowest speed (the last quarter of the cream and butter should be folded in by hand). Fold in the sour cream, parm cheese, the 2 tsp salt, and pepper; taste for seasoning and serve immediately. If the potatoes are too thick, add more hot cream and butter.

Serves 6-8

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

LOVE IT! Thanks Bri!!
The hot cream & butter....my thighs say, "ouch" but my mouth and heart love you! And the Parm Cheese, YUM!

christy said...

Brianne...I am not sure if you remember me or not...I am Courtneys sister in law...Christy (Stabler). I found your blog through Courtneys and I am so excited to try your potatoes!! I think this Sunday sharing is a GREAT idea!! Thanks for joining in the FUN!! By the way...I love your blog...Your kids are DARLING!! Take care...Christy

Brianne Skidmore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Look at you Betty Crocker! Those sound so good. My kids love potatoes of any kind so it will be fun to have a new recipe.