Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Share- Lemon Cake in a Jar




Since I feel crunched for time this evening, I'm going to share what I made this last week for my dear sister-in-law's, Aimee's, baby shower. I had seen on a couple of baking blogs the idea of making cake in jars and thought that it was so clever for a couple of reasons; A- It looks really cute. B- The cake will last for up to a couple of months in a jar. C- Sealing the jar while the cake is hot, makes for a really moist cake. D- Instead of cupcakes that need to be eaten within a day or two, you can put small jars in your pantry and pop one open anytime.


So here are my notes-


Any cake will do. I just used a lemon cake mix so that I could add a glaze for flavor.

Heat the oven as the recipe instructs.

Grease and flour the jars thoroughly before adding the cake mix and only fill them half full.

One box will make about 9 half-pint mason jars. Just do the math if you have different sized jars. (Walmart has a good jar selection.)

Line your jars up on a cookie sheet, not touching each other.
Now, I just turned the oven light on and watched them. When they rose to the top of the jars and looked dry on top, I poked them. You may want to follow the timing on the back of the cake-mix box for a glass pan and just watch them.

When they are done, immediately slice off the cake that has risen above the mouth of the jar. For my lemon cake, take the handle of a wooden spoon, poke down into the hot cake and pour about a Tablespoon of lemon glaze (powdered sugar and lemon juice) into the hole.

Last, after the cake has been out of the oven for no more than 2 minutes, screw on the lid. It will seal itself in a couple of minutes.



-Easy and fun!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I am so excited to try this! I am scared at the thought of having these so handy in my pantry to pop open anytime...scary! They look delicous too! I'm addicted to lemon, anything!

christy said...

What a great, clever and fun recipe!! I can't wait to give these a try!! Thanks for sharing!

Brittny said...

These were so YUMMY! Thanks for the directions!

Cheryl said...

Just when I thought you couldn't get any more clever!! How do you come up with these things?! Lauren wishes you were her Mom. Unfortunately you aren't old enough to be her mom ;)