Friday, October 19, 2007

PUMPKIN THIEVES!






I hate carving pumpkins anyway, but for two years now, our pumpkins have been stolen. What's up with that? It's really our fault because of where we built our house. I love being up against state land, but out here there is a reality of wild animals. We have seen coyotes, javalina families, raccoons, hawks, mice, rats, rattlesnakes, and even a bobcat all in our neighborhood.

Last year I tried to be Martha Stewart and stack a bunch of big, cool pumpkins by my front door. Within a week, they were devoured, huge mess of pumpkin guts all over my walkway. But this year, the culprits were much cleaner. The pumpkin was just gone, no longer where it had been next to my tin ghost. So I wandered into the yard a little and saw paw prints. Then, I looked down into our wash and saw the remains of a coyote that had apparently lost in the battle over the stupid pumpkin.

I swear, this is the last year I put out a pumpkin.



3 comments:

Natalie Hall said...

Ok to funny! I guess I should not laugh that would drive me crazy also, so sorry. My boys would love to see the coyotes. I can not believe the one died. They literally do fight there souls out for those pumpkins.
Good luck!

Courtney said...

LOL! At least it's not "Hood Rats" that take your pumpkins. That is who I lose mine to.:(
BTW...I am totally laughing at your tiolet experience! Hank also flushed a folded pair of socks and one of Breckyn's hair pieces (you know the ones you see at the kiosks at the mall). Funny thing is, they didn't clog my toilet! Miracle!

Brianne Skidmore said...

Tonight, Casey and I came home to find a whole clan of javalina eating the grass in my courtyard. I wonder if they could've killed that coyot over the pumpkin. Crazy. I feel like I'm living in a wild animal park.